Taco bowls or tacos are one of the EASIEST and QUICKEST recipes I have in my arsenal. My husband and one year old both love them, so it’s a great dinner option that will appeal to the whole family. They can also be clean and healthy if you make a few quick and easy swaps.
- Swap ground turkey instead of ground beef. It’s lower in fat!
- Toast tacos instead of frying – also use corn instead of flour.
- Add flavor to your food with seasoning and fruit juice (limes in this case) instead of with cheese and sour cream.
- Choose one carbohydrate instead of multiples: my favorites are either brown rice/quinoa, black beans or tortillas. Go with a bowl and cut out the tortillas all together!
Healthy Taco Bowls (or Tacos)
Makes 2 bowls or 4 tacos
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
12 oz Ground turkey
2 Tbsp Taco seasoning (I used Flavor God Taco Tuesday seasoning)
1 Cup Pico de Gallo (or salsa)
1 Cup Black beans
2/3 Cups Shredded Mexican cheese blend
4 Corn tortillas (small size)
1 Cup Brown rice (cooked)
- Add olive oil to pan over medium high heat. Add ground turkey and seasoning. Continue to break up with spatula until cooked through. Roughly 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse black beans
- Cook rice according to directions (if using)
- Toast tortillas (if using)
- Divide all ingredients into 2 bowls or onto two plates (if making tacos)
- Top with hot sauce of your choice and a fresh squeezed lime wedge
Container count for bowls no rice:
1 Red, 1/2 Green, 1 Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 Tsp
Container count for tacos no rice:
1 Red, 1/2 Green, 2 Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 Tsp
Container count for tacos & rice:
1 Red, 1/2 Green, 3 Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 Tsp